Across the Curriculum
Terri Perkins - Literacy Assignment #2
Bellevue Community College
ASSOCIATE DEGREE NURSING PROGRAM
N101 - MEDICAL-SURGICAL NURSING I
Critical Thinking and Information Literacy Assignment #2 - Winter 1998
- To assist the student in using and evaluating search engines.
- To begin to create a list of nursing and allied health resources on the Internet.
- Using two or more search engines, look for information relating to the following:
- appropriate client teaching information related to your topic.
- a health organization which addresses some aspect of your topic.
NOTE: If my topic was nursing care of the client with a mastectomy, I might search for information appropriate to teach a client with a mastectomy and locate a Web site for the American Cancer Society.
- Explain the exact search strategies that you used for each search engine.
- Explain what Boolean operators (logic) you used (list the exact search phrase)
- Give the number of items each search strategy yielded. For example, hypothetically, I might search Alta Vista for the American Cancer Society and I sued the keyword, 'cancer' and it yielded 1, 250,000 entries. Then, I used the phrase, "American Cancer Society: and it yielded 25,000 entries.
- Print a copy of one organization's Web site home page and the home page of one site which addresses client teaching.
- Write a paragraph (50 to 100 words) describing which search engine yielded the best results. Explain why you believe this particular search engine was preferable for your search.
Please see Terri Perkins if you have any questions about this assignment.
Please attach this grade sheet to your assignment.
GRADING CRITERIA POINTS POSSIBLE POINTS EARNED COMMENTS Identified at least two search engines used for this assignment 1 Listed specific search strategies 1 Gave number of entries for each search strategy 1 Found a related health organization for topic 1 Found information appropriate for teaching a client (related to topic) 1 Wrote a defense of one search engine and why it was more useful than another 1 Wrote the paragraph using correct spelling, punctuation and grammar 2 Included a printed page from a Web site for the client teaching and the health organization 1 Assignment turned in by due date 1 TOTAL POINTS Possible
Achieved GENERAL COMMENTS:
Library Media Center
3000 Landerholm Circle S.E.
Bellevue, Washington 98007-6484
© Copyright Bellevue Community College; all rights reserved.
Permission is granted to copy these materials for educational purposes
provided complete acknowledgement is included.
Updated August 25, 2003