Critical Thinking & Information Literacy
Across the Curriculum
Information Literacy Objectives
- To understand the value and usefulness of authenticated information in any sort of problem solving.
- To develop a lifelong habit
of critical thinking about problem solving.
- To become familiar with the
Library Media Center collection, services, and resources.
- To understand and apply an
information research process.
- To understand information
structures in different sources.
- To develop and apply appropriate
- To identify and effectively
use key reference sources in a library.
- To understand the purpose
of library classification systems.
- To identify, locate and retrieve
materials using library catalogs.
- To identify and use relevant
print and electronic databases.
- To recognize the value of
the Internet as a research tool.
- To use a browser and search
engines to find needed information on the Internet.
- To understand basic library
- To evaluate information,
both print and electronic, based on identified criteria.
- To become aware of personal,
institutional and public policy issues as they relate to information
- To understand the documentation
process using the appropriate styles to cite sources.
The BC Library Media Center Curriculum is an integral part of the
These objectives were developed by Shahla Rowhani with the assistance of a
BC Summer Grant.
Library Media Center
3000 Landerholm Circle S.E.
Bellevue, Washington 98007-6484
© Copyright Bellevue College; all rights reserved.
Permission is granted to copy these materials for educational
provided complete acknowledgement is included.
Updated August 26, 2003