SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System)
Overview of SEVIS
What SEVIS means to you
- Integrated database used by schools, immigration, ports of entry and consulates abroad
- Information to be tracked includes enrollment status, date of entry to the US, transfer, CPT, OPT, etc.
- Closer monitoring of F and M visa students
- It's EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to speak with an ISP advisor before doing anything that may affect your
immigration status, (i.e. dropping below 12 credits for academic students or dropping below 18 hours/week for UP/IBP students)
- Current F and M visa students will be entered into SEVIS when they are issued a new I-20 for
program extension, change of major, employment authorization, etc.
Tips from SEVIS to International Students - How To Stay In Status with U.S. Immigration Rules:
SEVIS has launched a video, Student to Student: Studying in the States,
on the Study in the States website to provide prospective and current international students with tips on staying in compliance with U.S. immigration rules.
The video is also featured on the Immigration and Customs Enforcement YouTube channel.