Choose The FYE Experience That Interests You!
- FYE: Emphasizes the general experience of new-to-college students.
- Adult Learner FYE: Emphasizes the different experiences adult students encounter in college.
- BC Student Athlete FYE: Emphasize the different experiences student athletes encounter in college.
- First-Generation FYE: Emphasizes the different experiences for students whose parents did not attend college.
- Multi-Cultural FYE: Emphasizes the different experiences students of color encounter in college.
(**Only offered during Fall quarter**)
FAQ's for FYE Affinity Groups
1. What really is different about the affinity groups as compared to the “general” FYE?
The core curriculum and learning outcome are exactly the same. The main difference is that each affinity group has an expert instructor who can lead activities and discussions with in-depth knowledge of the experience of their students. Example: The veteran group will be led by BC counselor who is himself a veteran.
2. What if I can’t decide on which FYE to sign up for?Regardless of the FYE you ultimately decide on, you will have a rewarding, inclusive and positive experience! You will make friends, establish a connection with a faculty and staff member, and be prepared to transition into the college academic and social environment. Take another look at the descriptions, and select the one which you most identify with. You can always change your mind or contact the instructor with more information.
3. Can I decide later?
Right now is the best time to decide. One of the goals of today is to schedule your classes and get you registered as courses full up quickly. Remember, you can always change your section by calling the Advising Office.
5. Why isn’t there just on for everyone?
This is a pilot program to see if students having FYE with people who share common experiences will increase student success. Let your FYE seminar leader know if you’d like to see another affinity group in the pilot program.