NMTEC 280 Computed Tomography for Nuclear Medicine • 3 Cr.
Provides didactic instruction in CT scanning, as is pertinent to its application to nuclear medicine procedures. Includes information relevant to production and detection of X-rays in CT, instrumentation and image reconstruction, specific technique applications, patient care and quality control. Prerequisite: Acceptance into the program or permission of program chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
1. Discuss production of x-rays and describe components of a CT scanner.
2. Identify image artifacts and components of image quality.
3. Discuss patient dosimetry and the need for shielding.
4. Describe quality control procedures for a CT scanner.
5. Identify common CT procedures performed, and discuss indications for these procedures.
6. Identify and discuss issues that arise from combining PET and CT scanners.