MEDIT 225 Health IT Data Standards • 5 Cr.
- Medical Informatics
Covers the fundamentals of healthcare standards as they relate to patient records, coding and classification systems, privacy and security, technical infrastructure and medical device integration. Topics include the basics of decision support and data mining, with application to typical business and clinical scenarios and emerging bioinformatics challenges. Prerequisite: MEDIT 115.
Prerequisite: MEDIT 115.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe current standards that are being applied to patient information
- Apply effective and efficient techniques to acquire, store and utilize medical data in a healthcare setting
- Recognize major clinical vocabularies and classification systems
- Comprehend essential concepts and practical uses for data warehousing, decision support and business intelligence
- Employ secure and private techniques for handling patient information in healthcare organizations
- Appreciate the implications of the convergence of bioinformatics and clinical engineering with medical informatics
- Identify key infrastructure components and related technical standards