MEDIT 115 Healthcare Fundamentals • 5 Cr.
- Medical Informatics
Introduction to the U.S. healthcare system with a focus on the organizations, financing and quality issues germane to health information technology (HIT) professionals and the core concepts of HIT including the history, current status and future challenges.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the current major strengths and weaknesses of the US health care system in terms of cost quality and access.
- Compare and contrast the current and future approaches to reforming the US health care system
- Describe the major HIT initiatives that are part of the proposed solutions to healthcare, including the EMR/EHR/PHR, interoperable healthcare information and standards
- Describe the history of health information technology over the past five decades
- Define the current HIT workforce and the future workforce needs.
- Describe the major delivery organizational models in healthcare (hospitals and clinics) in terms of the workforce and workflow.