INDES 191 Principles of Lighting • 5 Cr.
Introduces lighting design for interior environments. Students explore human visual perception, properties of natural and artificial light, lighting devices and controls, energy issues, and visual communication of lighting designs. Includes application to specific design problems. Prerequisite: INDES 160 and INDES 190 with a C- or better.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Compare the characteristics, advantages, and disadvantages of natural and artificial light sources.
- State the types of artificial light source
- State how size and watts are expressed in the various types of artificial light sources
- State the efficacies of the various types of artificial light sources
- State the life expectancy of the various types of artificial sources
- Demonstrate the knowledge of the Color Rendering Index, and the Kelvin ratings of the various types of artificial sources
- Demonstrate knowledge of the selection and application of the various lighting luminaries for a specific design goal.
- Demonstrate the ability to create a lighting design
- Draft a reflected ceiling plan
- Design and build a luminaire