INDES 180 Professional Practices I • 5 Cr.
Prepares students to work as professional interior designers. Students learn about managing interior design projects, legal and contractual issues, resources and services, and working with showrooms, service personnel, and clients. Prerequisite: INDES 170 with a C- or better.
Fee: $14 insurance. Prerequisite: INDES 170 with a C- or better.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Develop an independent business strategy to include:
- Business plan including organization type
- Legal issues and Licenses
- Costs of doing business
- Business success and profitability
- Marketing strategies including graphic identity, promotion and public relations
- Develop project management guidelines for professional practice including procedures for:
- Definition of scope of services and charges for services
- Contracts and agreements
- Effective project management: time, budget, materials, personnel
- Purchasing procedures
- Client presentations
- Develop guidelines for working with resources in the industry and begin to develop a network of professional resources, including:
- Drawings and specifications
- Allied professional: architects, engineers, contractors