IBP 087 Pronunciation Workshop • 1.5 Cr.
Designed to help students gain greater accuracy, fluency and confidence in their spoken English, through pronunciation and conversation practice, presentations, discussions, cassette journals and other activities. Students will focus on consonant and vowel sounds, rhythm, stress, and intonation both separately and in the context of natural speech. Prerequisite: Acceptance into the program or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Increase intellectual awareness of the elements of pronunciation: consonant and vowel sounds, rhythm, stress, reductions and intonation
- Apply this intellectual awareness to shape new pronunciation habits through skill practice
- Use the phonetic alphabet to correctly identify the consonant and vowel sounds of English
- Establish new muscle patterns for making pronunciation changes
- Improve listening skills as the basis for improving speaking skills
- Set realistic goals for improvement in pronunciation
- Identify personal pronunciation targets
- Produce the new targets
- Increase ability to self-monitor for errors and correction of errors
- Use what is learned inside of the class in daily life
- Take personal responsibility for making pronunciation changes
- Gain a higher level of confidence in new speaking situations
- Communicate more effectively and naturally in English