IBP 068 Written Business Communications • 4.5 Cr.
Designed to improve the communicative job performance of non-native English speaking professionals. Focus is on the written discourse patterns (grammar, tone, register, word choice) commonly encountered in business settings. It also introduces students to non-linguistic, cultural rules by which organizations operate. Prerequisite: Acceptance into the program or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Write the following types of business letters using proper grammar, punctuation, tone, and formats (including email formats)
- letters of inquiry and response
- sales letters
- complaint letters
- thank you letters
- collection letters
- positive and negative letters of adjustment
- routine interoffice correspondence
- Prepare meeting communication
- Employ strategies for effective written communication
- Structure written communication according to varying needs