HPRO 144 Phlebotomy Externship • 4 Cr.
Provides practical experience in the role of the phlebotomy technician. Enforced prerequisite: Placement by assessment into ENGL& 101 and completion of all other classes in the Phlebotomy Technician certificate at BC with a C- or better; successful passing of HPRO 141 skills tests and permission of instructor. No more than one quarter off between completion of HPRO 141 and enrollment in HPRO 144.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate the knowledge of a medical laboratory in a hospital setting.
- Perform 100 or more successful venipunctures.
- Perform or observe capillary punctures.
- Demonstrate the knowledge of proper arterial blood collection techniques by observing arterial punctures.
- Complete ASCP requirement of orientation to a CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act) regulated full-service laboratory.