HPRO 135 Medical Reception Skills & Procedures • 3 Cr.
Covers basic skills to be a Medical Office Receptionist. Includes basic medical office administrative skills, a basic understanding of medical informatics, how to create and manage medical charts and records, proper accounting and bookkeeping methods, processing insurance authorizations, operate office equipment, and customer service skills. Enforced Prerequisite: Placement by assessment into ENGL& 101 and HPRO 100, 105, 120, 125, 130, and BTS 144, BTS 161 with a C- or better or permission of instructor.
Fee: $82.50 Supply Fee.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to complete patient history forms
- Demonstrate the ability to order laboratory tests, result retrieval, and other medical orders.
- Apply knowledge of medical record management and electronic medical record
- Apply medical ethics and legal concepts to daily activities
- Understand the importance of patient confidentiality
- Demonstrate the ability to use telephone and communication skills, appointment scheduling in a medical office setting
- Demonstrate the ability to process mail, and insurance authorizations
- Demonstrate effective written correspondence and typing skills