FRCH& 221 French IV • 5 Cr.
Reviews and expands on first-year French grammar. Students increase their oral and written competencies, working in an authentic literary and cultural context. Prerequisite: FRCH& 123 or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of target language spoken at a more rapid rate and containing more idiomatic expressions.
- Demonstrate understanding of TV news broadcasts, given a context, some vocabulary clues, and some background information in advance. This would apply to their ability to demonstrate understanding of other video, such as feature films in the target language.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate orally expressing themselves more fully than they have been able to do in the past, producing appropriate vocabulary in the target language and sentences in the present, past, and future and conditional tenses,
- Demonstrate the ability to understand material written in the target language including grammar texts, excerpts of literature in the target language, authentic magazines, written work produced by students.
- Demonstrate their knowledge of reading strategies such as cognates and using the dictionary correctly.
- Demonstrate their ability to produce written material using correct grammar, producing short compositions that are comprehensible to native speakers and are well organized using increasingly more sophisticated vocabulary. Demonstrate their ability to use a dictionary appropriately to find the correct term ( “le mot juste”) to describe what they want to communicate.
- Demonstrate their ability to evaluate and edit French texts of questionable correctness, such as material from a website, translation websites in particular, as well as work produced by their peers.
- Students will demonstrate that they have a global sense of the language and are increasing able to use this knowledge to problem solve.
- Use the correct form of most of the French irregular verbs in the present tense.
- Use reflexive verbs correctly in the present and past tenses as well as in the infinitive form.
- Use several interrogative structures with greater ease.
- Use several particular verb constructions requiring the present tense in French ( venir de…aller + infinitive…depuis… être en train de)
- Use the definite and indefinite articles in new ways
- Use nouns and adjectives with greater precision, with irregular forms in the feminine and plural.
- Use the comparative and superlative with nouns, adjectives, verbs and and adverbs.
- Use the passé composé correctly with “avoir” and “être”
- Use the two simple past tenses correctly
- Use the direct and indirect object pronouns together and correctly.