FRCH& 122 French II • 5 Cr.
Continues FRCH& 121. Prerequisite: FRCH& 121 or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Produce appropriate vocabulary in target language. Create and understand short descriptive sentences using the present tense, “passé composé” and “imparfait”.
- Demonstrate knowledge of parts of speech (to show vocabulary recognition, to classify verbs, decline nouns, describe nouns, and identify cognates, show noun adjective and noun verb agreement).
- Recognize meaning (use vocabulary in context, accurately translate on exams and quizzes and in class)
- Demonstrate reading comprehension by answering comprehension questions orally and in writing after reading a passage in the target language, make educated guesses, by using cognates and context, about the meaning of a passage.
- Demonstrate listening ability by answering comprehension questions in writing both in English and in the target language after listening to an oral presentation, or hearing oral questions
- Demonstrate speaking ability in the target language by responding correctly during a prompted dialogue and creating original oral dialogues through role plays and monologues
- Demonstrate writing ability in the target language by creating grammatically correct sentences, short descriptive paragraphs, short stories or short plays, and writing summary sentences from readings.
- Use a dictionary and other tools for correct oral and written production of target language.
- Use food vocabulary, be able to understand the difference between “ salade de tomates” versus “salade aux tomates”
- Use more irregular verns in the present tense:
- Specifically: “ boire, prendre, vouloir, pouvoir, devoir, falloir, conduire, voir, croire,”
- Use the partitive versus the definite article
- Use commands
- Tell time in French
- Use “quel” and “ce”
- Use numbers to 100, express dates
- Use the accents correctly on verbs like “acheter” and “préférer”
- Use vocabulary to talk about vacations, leisure activities,travel, means of transportation, media, means of communication.
- Use the “passé composé” with “avoir” and “être”, and be able to negate in the past tense.
- Use “depuis” “pendant” “il y a” “depuis quand” and “depuis combine de temps” correctly.
- Use the correct affirmative and negative adverbs. Ex. “souvent”----jamais”
- Use direct object pronouns
- Use the “imparfait”
- Use the correct agreement of the past participle in the simple past tense.
- short grammatically correct sentences
- short descriptive paragraphes
- authentic articles, stories, cultural notes,
- present tense conjugating
- Use the 4 major language acquisition skills:
- apply learned structures to everyday situations
- show knowledge of the variety of “go around it” process of fluency
- languages aren’t direct translations of English
- develop a tolerance for frustration, and will be able to take chances
- practice skills which will allow successful students to move from the acquisitive/passive to the productive/active use of language
- master the efficient use of materials