ENGL 201 The Research Paper • 5 Cr.
Develops skills required for writing research papers. Students learn research techniques, source analysis, thesis development, argumentation styles, and summarizing. Fulfills a written communication course requirement at BC. Same as ENGL 102. Either ENGL 102 or ENGL 201 may be taken for credit, not both. Prerequisite: ENGL& 101 or equivalent course from another college with a C- or better.
Also offered as part of “It IS All About Me: Reading, Writing & Reflecting about the Self” a 10-credit Interdisciplinary Studies class. Look for Interdisciplinary Studies in Spring 2013 for details.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- An objective summary of college-level material which identifies primary and supporting assertions
- An evaluation of different types of evidence (i.e., tone/diction, logical reasoning)
- A synthesis of source material with own writing
- An original and clearly supported thesis
- Proper in-text citations and works-cited page
- A breadth of varied primary sources which demonstrates a familiarity with library research skills