ELIUP 073 Read & React V • 4.5 Cr.
Emphasis is on authentic material at a high level. Students read, interpret, evaluate, and discuss adult/college level fiction or non-fiction. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Read and React 5 replicates Read and React 4 and is distinguished by longer readings, increased quantity of reading, more complex readings, and a more advanced research component.
- Reading outcomes
- Confirm or revise predictions made prior to reading a passage
- Draw conclusions and make inferences from a reading
- Identify author’s point of view in a reading
- Analyze fiction through identification of plot, character, setting, theme, style, tone and language
- Analyze non-fiction by recognizing rhetorical organization, types of support, style, tone and language
- Discussion and critical thinking outcomes
- Respond appropriately to questions about readings
- Express an opinion relevant to the content of a passage
- Support views with reasons and evidence
- Extend and/or apply the ideas expressed in a reading to other situations
- Summarize and paraphrase a reading
- Identify significant similarities and differences between situations, characters, and outcomes
- Synthesize information to create ideas and opinions
- Recognize one’s own biases and values and acknowledge the perspectives of others
- Use evidence and logic to question and analyze information
- Study skills
- Find specific materials in the library and on-line
- Evaluate the quality of internet resources for authority, objectivity, accuracy, currency
- Cite sources using an MLA format