EDUC 150 Language & Literacy Development • 3 Cr.
Students learn strategies for fostering language and literacy development during the early childhood years, birth through age eight, to become knowledgeable about resources available to support language and literacy competence in young children.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Outline major milestones in the language and literacy development of young childre
- Explain the role of the teacher in the early childhood language and literacy curriculum
- Demonstrate specific strategies and plan developmentally appropriate activities for fostering language and literacy in young children
- Demonstrate skill in using children’s books, flannel boards and puppets as teaching tools in fostering language and literacy
- List key elements to consider when choosing books to share with children, including multicultural and anti-bias elements
- Access professional journals for research-related information about language and early literacy development
- Plan learning centers and a print-rich environment to foster language and early literacy