ECED 201 Family & Community Involvement • 3 Cr.
Develops interviewing skills and competency in parent contacts. Students learn to involve parents in understanding the child's home and school environment. Other topics include community resources and referral agencies. Format includes lecture and discussion.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Discuss major demographic trends of families in society today and how these trends impact the education of children
- Interact positively and effectively with increasingly diverse communities of children and their families
- Identify culturally relevant ways to encourage family involvement in the classroom and school community
- Create a classroom environment that reflects an understanding and appreciation of the families’ and community’s cultural heritage
- Explain conferencing and home visiting techniques that reflect respect for families and sensitivity to cultural differences
- Develop informational materials for families to help them understand the curricular approaches used in the classroom and their child’s individual performance
- Use community resources to provide information and support to families
- Spring 2013 (current quarter)