ECED 192 Early Childhood Education Practicum II • 5 Cr.
Focuses on planning, implementing, and evaluating curriculum for young children. Related topics include lesson planning, environmental arrangement, the appropriate use of materials and tools, and making positive connections with young children and their families. Format includes nine hours per week of supervised laboratory participation. Prerequisite: ECED 191, conversational English, completion of one or more early childhood education courses, and permission of instructor.
Prerequisite: Conversational English skills and permission of instructor. Fee: $23.50 liability insurance paid once per year. Nine clinical hours per week.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate the planning, implementation, and evaluation of developmentally and culturally appropriate practices through working in a classroom for young children, under supervision, nine to ten hours per week.
- Demonstrate ability to facilitate learning during free play, learning center activities, and group activities with sensitivity to individual and group needs.
- Demonstrate techniques for communicating effectively with young children and using positive guidance techniques to support the individual child’s positive self-concept , based on individual differences and cultural diversity.
- Demonstrate the ability to work sensitively and cooperatively with the participating teacher(s) and parents.
- Document children’s experiences and learning through a documentation panel or other appropriate format that can be shared with children, colleagues, and families.
- Develop one or more entries for a child’s portfolio, documenting individual development and learning , and understanding the use and purpose of the child portfolio.
- Demonstrate understanding and respect for professional and ethical guidelines for early childhood educators.
- Identify one or more professional development goals, based on evaluation of performance as an early childhood educator.
- Develop a professional portfolio documenting understanding of the Washington State Skill Standards for early childhood educators.