DRMA 224 Theatre History • 5 Cr.
Introduces students to some of the greatest plays in the Western theater tradition from the Ancient Greeks through the 19th century. Theatrical conventions demonstrated in each major period are studied. The relationship between play-writing and playmaking is explored.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Discuss the relationship between culture, drama, and theatre.
- Identify a process of analyzing dramatic works.
- Improve inferential reading skills.
- Identify how controlling ideas and themes in politics and culture relate to drama.
- Identify the connection between the written word of the drama and the finished product.
- Recognize the theatrical conventions that support the dramatic work
- Identify a process of analyzing theatre using a combination of theatrical conventions of the period and its dramatic works.