DMA 105 Production Studio I • 5 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2013
Production Studio • 5 Cr.
Provides students with practical experience working on collaborative teams while applying design principles and processes. Small teams will work with on-campus clients (instructor, other faculty, campus departments) to create digital media solutions tailored to client specifications as well as materials for their personal portfolios. Enforced prerequisites: DMA 100 and DMA 103 at BC with a C- or better, or entry code. Recommended prerequisite (or concurrent enrollment): DMA 102, DMA 104, DMA 106, DMA 107, DMA 108.
New description starting Summer 2013
Provides students with practical experience working on collaborative teams while applying design principles and processes. Small teams will be taught to work together to carry a design solution through the cycle of pre-production including steps such as working with clients, creating design documents, making pitches, drafting contingency plans and budgeting. Prerequisite: DMA 100 and 103 at BC with a C- or better, or instructor permission. Recommended that students be in third quarter of enrollment or later.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Collaborate successfully as a team member
- Represent themselves professionally and with confidence
- Plan, execute and revise projects in specific discipline areas
- Estimate time and resources for each phase of the project
- Identify critical path failure and develop contingency plans
- Identify the role of various professionals in their specific field
- Outline effective client communication practices (e.g., conduct needs analysis, schedule reviews)
- Identify learning strategies for self-directed learning – assess own knowledge gaps, locate resources to address gaps, self-motivate, schedule time productively, etc.
- Recognize and offer constructive criticism, and exhibit continual growth based on feedback and performance evaluation