DEVED 062 Strategies-Learning English: Grammar/Writing • 5 Cr.
Prepares English-as-a-second-language students for credit courses by developing grammar and writing skills at the sentence and paragraph level. Writing and editing work coordinate with the reading, speaking, and listening activities in DEVED 061. DEVED 061 and 062 are linked and must be taken at the same time. May be repeated for a maximum of 15 credits.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Apply grammar skills to edit paragraphs (about 100 words in length) for commonly made mistakes. Commonly made being:
- unclear writing
- run-on sentences
- comma splices
- verb tenses
- subject-verb agreement
- noun/pronoun agreement
- singular and plural
- word choice
- word form
- word order
- Identify the parts of speech and their functions.
- Write paragraphs with a variety of sentence patterns. (Sentence patterns studied are simple, compound, more-formal compound, complex and mixture of compound and complex sentences.
- Identify own areas of strengths and weaknesses in editing
- Take responsibility for applying editing rules in writing and monitoring own progress in in-class writings throughout the quarter.
- Write paragraphs with a main idea in a topic sentence with appropriate supporting details.
- Write different styles of paragraphs that are often parts of a longer piece of work (3-5 paragraphs) the rhetorical styles of paragraphs are comparison/contrast, descriptive, narrative, and reason.
- Reflect on and write clearly about own experiences in weekly journal entries.
- Use a word processor appropriately (including the use of spell and grammar checks) to create selected written documents.