DANCE 140 Ballet Technique I • 2 Cr.
Introduces the principles, techniques, and vocabulary of classical ballet. Students learn placement, flexibility, strength, and coordination. For beginning and advanced-beginning students. May be repeated for a maximum of 6 credits.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Understand the composition of a dancer's line and form and apply correct body alignment and posture to ballet technique.
- Begin to develop muscle strength, joint flexibility, balance and coordination by using fundamental ballet conditioning exercises.
- Know the French terminology used in basic ballet vocabulary.
- Understand how a system of practice exercises at the barre prepare dancers for proper ballet technique.
- Analyze the way in which acquired skills developed at the barre coordinate with movements in center and across the floor.
- Develop an awareness of musical phrasing and how it is used in ballet.
- Improve physical fitness and cultivate self-expression.
- Understand how the mechanics of ballet technique can be used to progress toward a mastery of other dance styles.