ART 120 Drawing I • 5 Cr.
Teaches basic visual and drawing skills. Students use charcoal and pencil to draw objects and forms from direct observation in the studio. Includes six hours of laboratory. Requires additional lab time outside class.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- see formal components of a subject and translate them accurately, with correct scale, proportion and contour
- translate visual images with contour lines only
- observe and translate light & shadow on a subject using a wide range of values
- plan and determine compositional variables in a drawing
- create the illusion of advanced space in a drawing through the use of atmospheric perspective
- observe and translate an applicable interior space with 1 point perspective
- analyze and verbally articulate drawing objectives in a formal critique/review process
- create drawings using the medium of charcoal