ALDAC 106 Chemical Dependency Individual Counseling • 3 Cr.
Introduces counseling theory and techniques for working with alcoholic and drug addicted individuals with emphasis on motivation to change. Includes practice and development of chemical dependency counseling techniques and strategies. Prerequisite: ALDAC 100 or HSSA 100 and ALDAC 102 or HSSA 102 and ALDAC 103 or HSSA 103 and HSSA& 101 (prev ALDAC 101) or permission of program director.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to establish a helping relationship
- Demonstrate the skills and knowledge needed to promote client knowledge, skills and attitudes that contribute to a positive change in substance use behaviors.
- Demonstrate the counseling techniques associated with motivational interviewing
- Describe a variety of addiction counseling theories designed to promote change in substance use attitudes and behaviors
- Describe the collaborative nature of the chemical dependency professional/client relationship