How the Writing Lab Works
Tutoring Session Guidelines
- You’re allowed a maximum of one 35-minute tutoring session per day and three tutoring sessions per assignment.
- You can drop in during all business hours. Appointments are not required.
- Appointments may be scheduled for one of six time slots between 10AM and 2PM Monday to Friday in Fall, Winter, or Spring Quarters. There are no appointments in the summer.
- You cannot make appointments with specific tutors; you must meet with whoever is available.
Before You Come to the Lab
- Bring your writing and the assignment guidelines with you.
- Be able to identify your general topic and purpose.
- Plan ahead: consider scheduling a tutoring appointment at least two days before your assignment is due—this applies only during Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters.
What We Do
- Listen to your topic ideas and ask questions to help you develop your focus.
- Review your paper to ensure it follows the assignment, and explain why if it does not.
- Point out any confusing or unclear parts of your essay.
- Help you identify grammar mistakes in your writing and explain how to correct them.
What We Will Not Do
- Edit your essay for you.
- Suggest topics.
- Comment on your opinions’ correctness or incorrectness.
Other Writing Lab Services
- Several writing handouts that you may take for quick reference.
- Grammar guides and handbooks that you may use while working in the lab.
- A computer lab that you may use as long as no class is in session. Remember to bring a flash drive to save your work.
- Free workshops, open to all Bellevue College students, faculty, and staff.
- Feedback on Bellevue College student and alumni résumés and application essays.
This page was updated on April 22, 2013