Music 107 - Fundamentals of Music On-Line
Music 107 introduces the students to reading, writing and comprehending the language of music. Following is the course content that will be covered.
Successful students in Fundamentals of Music will be able to:
1. Use the basic definitions of "Music" to understand its origins and structure.
2. Use the 4 aspects of music to explore sound and timbre.
3. Relate pitches to the piano keyboard learning their octave designations
4. Find and name pitches in four different clefs in quizzes.
5. Transcribe rhythms into counting patterns and counting patterns into rhythms in quizzes assigned.
6. Write Major scales from given notes and/or key signatures.
7. Write Minor scales from key signatures in their three forms.
8. Write and identify simple intervals on the music staff and keyboard.
9. Construct asked-for chords on the music staff from scales and/or chord symbols.
10. Voice chords using basic Keyboard or Choral voicing
11. Demonstrate their knowledge of coursework in successful Midterm and Final Examinations.
The course will be
presented as a series of eight modules dealing with a progression of musical
skills and abilities. Subsequent modules are dependent on those completed
previously. Modules must be completed sequentially. Quizzes are written
in a music program entitled Finale Notepad 2005 that is a free download from
Coda Music. This is required for the class. If you intend to do coursework in a
lab, they will generally not allow downloading to their computers. You must have
your own. Make certain that your Home computer meets the criteria for taking an
on-line class at BCC BEFORE you register. Also, stable Internet access IS
REQUIRED. DSL or Broadband is preferred with 56K dial-up OK. Avoid ISP’s that
tend to “kick you off” when they get very busy. All of the 107 assignments can
be downloaded to your desktop, completed, and returned without have to stay
The course grade will be averaged from four parts:
1. Module 1 to 4 Quizzes (1A to 4D)
2. Midterm Exam
3. Module 5 to 8 Quizzes (5A to 8B)
4. Final Exam
The grading scale is as follows: All numbers are percentages.
100 - 95% = A+
94 – 90 = A
89 - 85 = A-
84 - 80 = B+
79 - 75 = B
74 - 70 = B-
69 - 67 = C+
66 - 63 = C
62 - 60 = C-
59 - 57 = D+
56 - 53 = D
52 - 50 = D-
49 - 0 = F
All required quizzes must be completed before Exams can be taken.