“Quality Music Education in a caring environment.”
Office: A - 160D
Phone: (425) 564-2089
Office Hours: 11:30 AM or by appointment
Music 107 - Fundamentals of Music On-Line
Music 107 introduces the students to reading, writing and comprehending the language of music. Following is the course content that will be covered.
Successful students in Fundamentals of Music will be able to:
1. Use the basic definitions of "Music" to understand its origins and structure.
2. Use the 4 aspects of music to explore sound and timbre.
3. Relate pitches to the piano keyboard learning their octave designations
4. Find and name pitches in four different clefs in quizzes.
5. Transcribe rhythms into counting patterns and counting patterns into rhythms in quizzes assigned.
6. Write Major scales from given notes and/or key signatures.
7. Write Minor scales from key signatures in their three forms.
8. Write and identify simple intervals on the music staff and keyboard.
9. Construct asked-for chords on the music staff from scales and/or chord symbols.
10. Transpose given melodies, then translate them into degrees, rhythms and intervals.
11. Write a Music Composition.
12. Demonstrate their knowledge of coursework in successful Midterm and Final Examinations.
The course will be presented as a series of 14 modules dealing with a progression of musical skills and abilities. Subsequent modules are dependent on those completed previously. Modules must be completed sequentially.
Quizzes are written in a music program entitled Finale Notepad that is a download from Finale Music. This is required for the class. If you intend to do coursework in a lab, they will generally not allow downloading to their computers. You must have your own. Make certain that your Home computer meets the criteria for taking an on-line class at BC BEFORE you register. Also, stable Internet access IS REQUIRED. DSL or Broadband is preferred with 56K dial-up OK. Avoid ISP’s that tend to “kick you off” when they get very busy.
All of the 107 assignments can be downloaded to your desktop, completed, and returned without having to stay on-line. Vista assessments must be completed while logged on! Included in each module are quizzes designed to practice the skill introduced in the module. Content for each quiz is given previous to the quiz. Reading beyond the quiz can be detrimental. After Chapters 1 to 7 are completed, a Midterm Exam will be taken. All information asked on the Midterm would have been practiced on the quizzes. After the midterm, Chapters 8 to 14 will be given that will culminate in a Final Examination.
With the closing of each quiz, it will be returned to create a study file for Midterm and Final Exams. The Midterm and Final will not be returned. There is a Calendar on the course Home Page that gives you timelines for each quiz. When a Module closes, all quizzes for that Module must be completed by that date. DO NOT WAIT TILL THE LAST MINUTE TO DO ALL THE ASSIGNMENTS & QUIZZES! The Midterm and Final both have a 24-hour window of time to complete. Late exams will not count toward your Course Grade. Midterms and Finals are not returned. Answers for all completed quizzes ARE returned for study.
Textbook: REQUIRED - “A Creative Approach to Music Fundamentals” by Duckworth– CENGAGE edition
TECHNICAL ONLINE PROBLEMS
If you are having technical issues with your Vista Blackboard account please contact the HELP desk at Bellevue College at 425/564-HELP
If you are having any course issues with enrollment etc. please contact Liz Anderson in Distance Education.
If you are having any download issues with Finale Notepad – please contact Finale directly at www.makemusic.com.
The course grade will be averaged from four parts:
1. Module 1 through 7 Module Quizzes called Pre-Mid Average
2. Midterm Exam
3. Module 8 through 14 Quizzes called Post-Mid Average
4. Final Exam
5. Chapter Discussions
The grading scale is as follows: All numbers are percentages.
100 - 95% = A+
94 – 90 = A
89 - 85 = A-
84 - 80 = B+
79 - 75 = B
74 - 70 = B-
69 - 67 = C+
66 - 63 = C
62 - 60 = C-
59 - 57 = D+
56 - 53 = D
52 - 50 = D-
49 - 0 = F