Preparing for Work
Fall 2004 (September 28-December 14 )
Instructor: Kristin Clingan Classroom: R-109
Office: R-130 Days: Tuesday and Thursday
E-mail: email@example.com Time:
School Closure: (425) 401-6680
This class will help prepare you for the workplace and help you improve your English and computer skills. We will practice reading, speaking, listening, grammar, pronunciation and writing. You will learn many job skills and also computer skills such as:
Ø Complete forms for work
Ø Give and understand directions and instructions
Ø Make and record telephone calls
Ø Talk about your job skills and experience
Ø Read job ads
Ø Fill out job applications
Ø Understand and answer interview questions
Ø Write, type and print out a resume and cover letter
Books and Materials:
Ø English, ASAP, Connecting English to the Workplace, Student Book 1 by Steck-Vaughn
Ø A notebook or binder for your papers
NOTE: You do not have to buy the textbook. I will bring textbooks to class for you to use, but these books are for classroom use only. You will not be able to take books home or write in them.
Other Course Information:
1. Attend class every day and be on time. If you can’t come to class, please call me. If you miss 3 times and don’t explain why you are absent, I must drop you from the class.
2. Complete all you homework. Homework is very important.
3. Ask questions. We are all learning together and I am here to help you.
4. Please don’t bring children to the class. It is difficult for both the children and the other students. (I will be happy to give you information about BCC’s child care program.)
5. If you need special help because of a disability, please call 564-2498 or go in person to the DSS (Disability Support Services) program office in C210.