Name: Mila Tari
Office: R 230
Office hours: By appointment
Phone number: 425-564-2404, extension 3
Dates: Tuesday, Thursday; April 3 - June 14, 2007
Time: 7:30 p.m. – 9:20 p.m.
At the end of this quarter, successful students should be able to:
1) introduce yourself and others;
2) ask and answer basic questions and personal information;
3) follow simple one-step directions;
4) read numbers, letters, simple warning labels;
5) fill in personal information onto a simplified form;
6) write simple personal statements (affirmative and negative) using the present tense BE-verb and subject pronouns.
Attendance is very important for your progress to the next level. If you miss 20% of the total class time (5 classes), you will receive a grade of “No Progress” for the quarter. Also, if you come to class more than one-half hour late or leave more than one-half hour early, the time you miss is part of the 20%.
Important: If you will be absent from a class, please leave a message on my voicemail or send me an email.
To go to the next level, you must show progress in reading, writing, listening, and speaking. If you miss the CASAS reading and listening tests, you will receive a grade of “No Progress.”
You may repeat a class only three times.
· You will need a textbook, a notebook, pens, and pencils. Bring them to each class.
· Come to class on time.
· Do all homework and participate in class (work in groups/pairs, ask questions).
· Be polite and respect your classmates. We learn from each other. We can help each other. We must treat one another with respect, even when we have different ideas. We will use professional student behavior that does not disturb others.
On some of your tests and on your homework, I will write these numbers:
4 or É
3 or P
2 or P-
Needs more work
1 or -
The students in this program often like to do nice things for their teachers at the end of the quarter. A card with words from all the students, flowers, and food are good ways to thank your teacher. Please do NOT buy your teacher a gift or give money.
Gramer, Margot F. (2003). The
Molinsky, Steven J. (2001). Side By Side 1.
You must buy The Basic Oxford Picture Dictionary. It is for sale at the BCC Bookstore. If you cannot buy your own textbook, please let me know. I will bring you a copy to class.
our class meets at
If the school is closed, there will be NO class.
2. If the school is open, then call Bellevue Community College (BCC) at
425-401-6680 to check if BCC is closed.
3. If BCC is closed, we will NOT meet at the school even when the school is open.
4. When both the school and BCC are open, we will have class at the school.