EXAM #2 REVIEW
PLEASE BRING A SCANTRON AND #2 PENCIL
41 questions true/false and multiple-choice.
1. Know the components of the phenomenon we label as feelings. I.e. physiological changes, etc.
2. What is the difference between primary and mixed emotions.
3. Review the influences on emotional expression.
4. What are the guidelines for expressing emotions.
5. What are facilitative and debilitative emotions?
6. Review the section Thoughts cause Feelings.
7. Know the seven fallacies that lead to debilitative emotions
8. How can you minimize debilitative emotions.
1. How is language symbolic?
2. Review the section The Impact of Language. Go into detail. For example, be able to explain powerless language.
3. What is equivocation?
4. What are euphemisms?
5. What are relative words?
6. What is emotive language?
7. Review the entire section on gender and language. Be sure to add the lecture notes from class.
8. Be able to explain the difference between high context and low context communication. Be able to recognize examples of each
9. What is linguistic determinism and the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis? Linguistic relativism?
10. What is I language. What needs to be included in an “I” language statement? What should you avoid in an “I” language statement.
1. What is nonverbal communication?
2. What are the characteristics of nonverbal communication?
3. Review the functions of nonverbal communication.
4. Know any bold typed terms found in the types of nonverbal communication section.
5. Review your notes on gender differences in nonverbal communication and hostile/friendly nonverbal behaviors.
1. What is a paradigm and paradigm shift?
2. What is the difference between the character ethic and personality ethic? Primary and secondary greatness?
3. What is a principle-centered paradigm?
4. Be able to explain the maturity continuum.
5. Be able to explain the proactive model on p. 71.
6. Know the difference between proactive and reactive language.
7. What is the difference between the circle of concern and the circle of influence?
8. What is the difference between leadership and management?
9. How is a principle-centered person view life differently from a person who is more influenced by the alternate centers?