SEEK FIRST TO UNDERSTAND
1. How does Covey define empathic listening? How is it similar and different from Adler’s definition in Looking Out: Looking In?
2. Why should we diagnose before we prescribe?
3. Scott is talking to his father about his poor grades in college. Scott’s father gives him a number of autobiographical responses. Provide one example for each autobiographical response?
4. Based on what you now know about gender differences in communication, how would you seek first to understand with each gender?
5. Pretend you are a life insurance salesperson. Provide one example for each method of “Being Understood” that a person would use to convince a client to buy insurance from them.