Instructor: Chris Hall
Meeting times Monday-Friday 3:30-4:20
Office hours/Phone: C230 Monday-Friday 9:30-10:20; 564-2254
Text: Talk It Up by Joann Rishel Kozyrev/
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
· Ask and answer questions
· Be able to respond clearly, logically and grammatically to a variety of real life situations
· Take notes
· Ask for clarification
· Pair, small and large group work
· Class discussions
· Video study
· Idiom/vocabulary study
· Pronunciation study and practice
Attendance -3 points per absence or consistent lateness
Homework 5-10 points each
Quizzes 25 points each
Idiom Presentations 15 points each
Participation 20 points per week
Speeches 25 points each
Comprehensibility (an important factor in passing or not)
below 65 F
8 1/2” X 11” WHITE college ruled paper
· TOEFL February 10
· No classes January 15, February 20
· Final Exam March 15, 1:30
· EOQ Celebration March 16, 1:30
IT IS IMPORTANT TO:
1. Be on time to class. (Students consistently late will lose 3 points per day late.)
2. Come to class everyday. (Any hour that you are not in class is counted as an absence. Students who miss more than 10 hours of this class will not receive a passing grade. Students who miss more than 12 hours of this class may be dismissed from ELI. (See student handbook.)
3. Bring your own texts, dictionary, paper and pencils with you daily.
4. Have your homework done on time. Do it yourself. Cheating will result in a “0” for the assignment for the first offense. Subsequent offenses will result in the loss of one full letter grade for the class per offense.
5. Speak English only.
6. See or e-mail me when you’re unsure about a lesson or an assignment.
7. Get extra help when needed.
8. Talk to me immediately after you are absent.
9. Be respectful of your classmates and your teacher.
10. No eating, smoking or using cell phone/pagers during class
11. Keep all homework, quizzes and tests in a notebook in chronological order for review and in the event of a question concerning a score
12. Think positive.