Bellevue Community College Reading I: Summer 2006
Instructor: Amanda Franklin Meeting time: Monday-Friday, 1:00-2:15 p.m.
Mailbox: R-230 Classroom: B257N
Email: email@example.com Office Hours: By appointment
Required Texts and Materials:
1) Basic Reading Power, 2nd Edition, by Beatrice Mikulecky and Linda Jeffries
2) True Stories in the News, by Sandra Heyer
3) A blank, bound notebook or journal
4) An English-English dictionary
This is a beginning reading class. We will focus on skimming and scanning texts to locate information, improving comprehension of what you read, and expressing feelings and ideas about what you read. We will also work on decoding (making connections between sounds and letters to help with pronunciation and spelling), building vocabulary, and using a dictionary.
1) Complete all assignments on time. No late assignments will be accepted.
2) Attend class regularly and arrive on time. If you are absent, it is your responsibility to find out what you missed. If you arrive late, you will be marked late unless you have an acceptable reason. If you are late three times, this will count as one absence. If you are more than 15 minutes late, you will be marked absent unless you have an acceptable reason. If you are seriously ill or hospitalized, or there is a crisis in your family, please tell a Student Advisor at the ISP office as soon as possible.
3) You must take the final exam to pass the class. No early or late final exams will be given.
4) Speak only English in class.
5) No cell phones or eating in class.
Class Participation/Attendance 20%
No class 7/4/06. Have a wonderful Fourth of July!
The last day of class will be Friday 8/11/06. However, I will be available on Monday, 8/14/06 to answer questions. If you wish to meet, please email me so we can make an appointment.
If classes are cancelled due to any storms, snow, earthquakes or other emergency, information will be available by phone (425-401-6680) and on the web (http://status.bcc.ctc.edu).
If you have any questions or concerns, please speak with me. I enjoy open dialogue with my students and am interested in your progress!