Name:† Jayashree Pulacode
Office:† R 230 (by appointment only)
Please bring a 3-ring binder, a notebook, a pen, a pencil and your textbook to every class.† Also, if you have a dictionary, you can bring it to class.
You will study Workplace Plus 2 with Grammar Booster in this class.† You can buy this book at the bookstore.
Saslow, Joan and Collins, Tim (2004).† Workplace Plus 2 with Grammar Booster.
Pearson Education, White Plains, NY.† ISBN:† 9780131928008
Course Description and OUTCOMES:
This course will improve your English listening, speaking, reading and writing skills to help you succeed at work. You will practice work English using role-playing, small group activities and class discussions. You will study various topics.† For example:
v Communicate with co-workers, supervisors and customers
v Listen to directions and requests
v Read written instructions and e-mails
v Write messages.
At the end of this quarter, successful students should be able to:
Speak So Others Can Understand
∑ report a safety hazard
∑ respond to instructions
∑ ask for clarification on a request or an order
∑ ask to change your work schedule
∑ use small talk in the workplace
∑ ask clarification questions when you donít understand
∑ follow important safety instructions
∑ understand instructions from your supervisor
Read With Understanding
∑ read job announcements and newsletters
∑ read safety warnings, work forms, an employee benefits manual
∑ read a paycheck and pay stub
Convey Ideas in Writing
∑ write or email a message to a supervisor
∑ request a schedule change
∑ complete work forms, for example: a repair order, an accident report
Each student will keep a folder.† The papers in the folder will show you and your teacher how much English you have learned. †If you want to improve your English, please do your homework and put it in your folder.† Your teacher will use these numbers on your homework and tests:
1 or Ł-†† . . . . . . . . .† . Beginning, too many mistakes
3 or Ł+† . . . . . . . . . . Good
2 or Ł†††† . . . . . . . . . . Need more practice
4 or +†††† . . . . . . . . . . Excellent
1) Come to every class and be on time.† Put your cell phone to silent before class begins.
2) Call your teacherís voicemail and leave a message if you cannot come to class.
3) Do all your homework.† Do not copy your classmatesí homework or tests.
4) Be polite and learn to be good listeners in class.† When your classmate is speaking, please do not speak and wait for your turn to speak.
5) Treat your classmates with respect, even when you have different ideas.† Work well with your classmates, because your classmates can help you learn.
6) Please speak only English in class. †Class time is for you to practice your English.
During bad weather, call Bellevue College at 425-401-6680 to check if classes have been cancelled or not.† This number is a recording with updates on campus closure.† Also, you can visit the college website for any emergency closure status: http://bellevuecollege.edu/status/