Instructor: Heather Miller (Please call me Heather.)
Phone: (206) 235-1475
Office Hours: By appointment.
Daily Materials: Please bring a 3-ring binder, paper, pencil, and your textbook to class every day. Also, it will be helpful to bring a dictionary to class if you have one.
We will use Workplace Plus 2 with Grammar Booster in this class. You will need to buy this book in the bookstore.
Saslow, Joan and Collins, Tim (2004). Workplace Plus 2 with Grammar Booster.
Pearson Education, White Plains, NY. ISBN: 9780131928008
Course Description and OUTCOMES:
This course will improve your English listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills to help you succeed at work. We will practice pronunciation, conversation, and comprehension skills used on the job.
We will cover topics such as communicating with co-workers, supervisors and customers, listening to directions and requests, reading e-mails and instructions, and writing messages.
A variety of methods including role-plays, pair work, and group work will be used in class to reach these goals.
At the end of this quarter, successful students should be able to:
Speak So Others Can Understand
· ask to change your work schedule
· report a safety hazard
· use small talk in the workplace
· ask for elaboration on a request or order
· respond to instructions
· ask clarification questions when you don’t understand
· follow important safety instructions
· understand instructions from your supervisor
Read With Understanding
· read job announcements and newsletters
· read work forms including an employee manual, supply checklist, and safety warnings
· read a paycheck and pay stub
Convey Ideas in Writing
· write a message to a supervisor
· request a schedule change
· write a telephone message
· complete work forms including a repair order, accident report, and supply requisition form
Each student will keep a folder. The papers in the folder will help show you how much English you learn. It is important to do homework and put it in your folder. I will use these numbers on your homework, quizzes, and tests.
4 or + . . . . . . . . . . Excellent
3 or ü+ . . . . . . . . . . Good
2 or ü . . . . . . . . . . Need more practice
1 or ü- . . . . . . . . . . Beginning, too many mistakes
1) Come to class every week and be on time.
2) Call me and leave me a message if you are sick and cannot come to class.
3) Do your homework before class begins.
4) Respect your classmates and do not speak when they or the teacher are speaking. Be polite and good listeners in class.
5) Work cooperatively (well) with your classmates. Treat your classmates with respect, even when you have different ideas, because your classmates will help you learn.
6) Please speak only English in class. This will help you learn.
7) Do not copy other people’s homework or quizzes. Do your own work.
8) Turn off your cell phone before class.